Chrissy’s Story

My battle with hyperemesis gravidarum:

As I sit here, watching my 3 year old son running around with toys all over the floor in my house. Looking over, I can see pure joy in his eyes. I feel though as it is time to write his survival story.

This is not exactly a birth story but the story of the 9 months prior. With my 3 year old son, Caden, my pregnancy was not the glowing, happy pregnancy every woman wishes for.

I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum, and it was severe.

HG, is a severe nausea and vomiting during pregnancy which can lead to severe complications with the mother and baby. Eating crackers and sipping Sprite or Gatorade was not a solution. It is a terrible disease that makes a pregnant woman affected with it in a state that can be life threatening.

In January 2012, I was feeling pain in my stomach. I went to the doctor, they told me I tested positive for pregnancy. The news came as an unexpected shock. However, at approximately 6 weeks I started getting morning sickness. It was slow at first along with some pretty intense nausea throughout the day.

A couple weeks later, it all changed. I was barely able to get out of bed, I was vomiting 20-40 times a day. I couldn’t keep down any food or liquid, so it was mostly dry heaving. I would have to be taken to the hospital 2-3 times a week for ivs to get hydrated. I began to lose a lot of weight quickly.

I went for my monthly check-up with my OB, she said I was not in good health. My life was at risk. I was 25-30 pounds down from my normal weight. I was given several anti-nausea medications but none of them worked, nothing.

My depression started, I was so sad, I wanted this pregnancy and I didn’t deserve this. I made the decision to continue the pregnancy although it was risky. This continued a little over 6 months before I started to feel human again.

My doctor made it possible by requesting home care. A nurse came over to set up ivs and I had a pump in my stomach that monitored the amount of zofran (to help control nausea).

I disliked changing needles to a different place every other day. I actually overcame my fear of needles but not entirely, ha.

In May, I discovered I was having a boy. It was a dream come true. In the last 3 months of my pregnancy I was finally able to get out of bed, out of the house more and be able to go baby shopping which is my absolute favorite thing to do.

August 27, 2012 my beautiful healthy baby boy came into the world. He came 3 weeks earlier than his due date, at 5 pounds.

Labor was surprisingly easy. He came out in just 2 pushes. It was perfect from his first breath and and still is perfect to this day.

What got me through this was the support from my friends/family. My family has been a huge help throughout this process, for that I am entirely grateful.

My son is a miracle, he is the greatest gift I have been blessed with. A huge part of who I am today. Most of all, it has taught me the depths of my own strength.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s